Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Mini Book Reviews of Some of This Year's Reads

God Went to Beauty School
by Cynthia Rylant
ages 12 and up
I really enjoyed these poems. They are both fun and thought-provoking at the same time. A very intriguing image of God, although some critics may say it humanizes God too much.
by Clare Dunkle
ages 12 and up
I have never been able to get into Wuthering Heights, and since this book is billed as a prequel of sorts to Wuthering Heights, I'm probably missing something.  All in all, even without reading Wuthering Heights, it was a good ghost story. It definitely had the Gothic horror vibe going, if you like Gothic horror. I liked the story, and it held my interest, although the writing felt a bit choppy and incomplete at times. But maybe that's just a reflection of what the character felt. I liked the main character, Tabby, and was intrigued by how Dunkle wound her into the back story of Wuthering Heights.
by Cynthia Rylant
Ages 10 and up
I loved this book about a picturesque village God created as a "halfway house" for souls not ready to go to Heaven. This is a book of short stories about the residents of that village. Such good stories! Categorized as juvenile fiction, this is nevertheless a book anyone can enjoy. (And adults will probably appreciate it more.)
by Caroline Dale Snedeker
ages 8 and up
Newbery Honor Book
I expected to like this one more than I did. Especially given that it's a Newbery Honor book. The writing is excellent -albeit too long and wordy at times- and I like the character development. It was also an intriguing look into Quaker life.  The main male protagonist annoyed me no end. It was okay overall, good, even great in some places, but I struggled to stay interested enough to finish.

4 comments:

  1. I see in your sidebar you are reading The Moffats aloud. Hope you are all enjoying it! It's one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls are loving it so far. Well...the older two are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it is important not to judge a book by its cover, but I am completely put off by the Dead Maids book cover!

    ReplyDelete