Friday, April 20, 2012

Picture Book Biographies: Poets


April is National Poetry Month here in the United States. I've read poetry to my girls from the time they were babies, because I love it and want them to love it and to not be intimidated by the format. But I've found that sharing poetry with them is even more effective after they can first see the poet as a real person. Here, in no particular order, are some picture book biographies -some deal only with a certain portion of the poet's life- of poets that combine a well-told narrative with striking pictures to capture and keep children's attention. Each book is illustrated in a different style. (I'd recommend these books for ages 7 and up.)



(Written by Jen Bryant; illustrated by Melissa Sweet)


(Written by Barbara Kerley; illustrated by Brian Selznick)


(Written by Linda Glaser; illustrated by Claire A. Nivola)


(Written by Robert Burleigh; illustrated by Leonard Jenkins)


(Written and illustrated by Jeanette Winter)


(Written by Monica Brown; illustrated by Julie Paschkis)


(Written by Joanne Findon; illustrated by Ted Nasmith)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this post! We read one about Phillis Wheatley last year. I think it is entitled Phillis' Big Test. Anyway, I reviewed it in my blog should you care to search. (I'd link you up but I'm on the iPod and it's a booger to get to cooperate for cutting and pasting sometimes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Approaching poetry via poets' biographies is a great idea! And what a neat list of books. I want to read them all!

    ReplyDelete