Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A short rant about book lengths and lack of editing

I've got about a dozen books in various stages of reading progress, and while they aren't awful, they're not holding my interest very well (hence the dozen), mostly due to the fact that they are needlessly, freakishly, disproportionately long for the plot, action, and characters.
Is it just me or do authors seem to think they need to write epics? Long, droning tomes in serious need of editing. What has happened to editors? Doesn't anyone value pithy, substantive writing anymore? Please, editors, for the love of all that's good and right, wield those red pens with more fervor! Stop the madness!

4 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. Longer does not necessarily mean better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, YES, YES I completely agree with you. I have wondered if publishers has lay off all of the editors or if the editors just don't know when to cut things down or out. It also came up at the BookExpo when I was talking to some people on line. So we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Some I feel like this.. and some I feel are too short! :)

    ReplyDelete