Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Review: My First Counting Book by Lilian Moore; illustrated by Garth Williams

My First Counting Book
by Lilian Moore
Illustrated by Garth Williams

"One little puppy,
A roly-poly puppy, alone as he can be.
Isn't there a boy or girl
Who wants to play with me?"

Thus begins my Susanna's favorite counting book, which also happens to be a Little Golden Book, first published in 1956. "Ithn't he tho cute?" coos Susanna about the little puppy. "I want him. He would like me."
This book features sweet, cuddly animal drawings by Garth Williams (the illustrator of Charlotte's WebThe Little House on the Prairie series, and many, many more books.) Each number features a little rhyming poem by Lilian Moore.

"Bunny finds five cabbages-
One, two, three, four, five-
Near the garden wall.
Bunny sniffs five cabbages,
And Bunny wants them all."
This book has been a favorite of each of my girls, so loved and read that we are on our third copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment